Ana Luisa is really growing up fast. She is taller, has thinned out some, and her speech has really taken off. She talks constantly, and we can actually understand most of it. She makes us laugh all the time with the things she says.
She is not very fond of farm animals, especially cows. She has had major issues with cows since we went to a dairy farm in the spring and a cow mooed and startled her. Since then she makes sure whenever we visit a farm to let us know in no uncertain terms that cows scare her. She did a little better with horses when we went to a farm a couple weeks ago. And she adores her aunts, so being in Tia Padu's arms made up for having to be near a farm animal.
She has also discovered mama's shoes. And other accessories. She is such a girl.
She loves to help out in the kitchen. Here she is making peanut butter sandwiches with papa.
She also loves her baby doll, Baby Abby, and will often ask to carry her in a baby carrier. We've discovered that footie pajamas make great baby carriers.
She has also claimed my purse as hers, and goes around saying things like, "Oh, there's my purse! Now where is my phone? I can't find my phone!"
And I had to take this picture so that I would remember the story behind it.
Me: Ana Luisa, that's not where forks go. Take your fork out of your shirt please.
Ana Luisa: But it's a baby fork. (whispering) Shhh. It's sleeping.
She is so funny, cute and weird.
And then there's big brother.
"Ana Luisa, did you know, that there was a witch that screamed, but then she went to catechism class and learned about Jesus and learned how to love, and then she liked Halloween! And then she and the monster and the mummy and the ghost all danced and sang, it's Halloween! It's Halloween!"
His little story made me laugh, but it is a confusing time of year. And then there's the catechism class, which he mentioned above. Three weeks ago, Juan Pablo started Atrium, a Montessori catechesis program that meets once a week for a couple hours. His teacher is a mom from our playgroup, who he knows pretty well, having seen her once a week for the last year and a half or so, plus sometimes also at Mass on Sundays. I thought he would love the Montessori thing. He does, it seems, but being away from mama for two whole hours has proved very difficult for my little man. And I'm in the classroom right next door with Ana Luisa, watching his teacher's kids. He has been wearing a necklace we made with a picture of me around his neck. Whenever he starts to get anxious his teacher comes and asks him about it, which helps a little. Jeff and I joke that it's just a precursor to an "I love mom" tattoo someday. This past week he had his best week yet, he only ended up coming to the nursery with me once. It also helped that Jeff came to the class and stayed with him for the first half hour or so.
But between the two hours of separation a week, and the confusion of the Halloween decorations, we've been dealing with some anxiety issues. There are some upsides to this though. We get more snuggles at night (he's back to sleeping in our bed most nights). We've had lots of conversations about how mama always comes back, and how even when he can't see me I still love him and I know where he is and he doesn't need to be worried because I will come back for him. And about how Jesus is the strongest and he protects us and takes care of us. All good things. Plus Jeff and I have had many, many more opportunities than usual to grow in patience and understanding. We need that too.
And throughout it all, Juan Pablo is still our sweet little man.
1 comment:
We are so glad to hear that Ana Luisa, clearly, has the makings of a future chef ... I can see her now whipping up some exotic dish while telling stories, "sh-h-h ... the fork is sleeping." XOXO
Post a Comment